Tuesday, June 15, 2010

it begins

[Wow, what a badass case of writer's block - over ten years.]

Once upon a time, I had a blog of sorts on a university server.  I wrote nonsense about my student life, and shared a few projects.  One day shortly after hitting a thousand hits, I oversaw this dude I'd never met before running one of my OpenGL programs on a public terminal.  It really drove home the notion that my stuff was "out there" for anyone to read or download.

Strangely, I truly felt as though this was a massive intrusion of privacy.  I wrote a final post detailing that very event, and that was it - the site never got updated again, eventually being eaten up by the maintenance langoliers.

What gives?  In retrospect, I realized that I was using the web more as a way of writing home than as an open book which anybody could read.  Typing in a URL is about as difficult as reading a street sign, and your content is just about as public.  Quite a simple insight, but as the saying goes, sometimes it's difficult to see the forest for the trees.

So, here we are.  Since my last post, Napster has died, the Matrix has Reloaded, Katrina has destroyed, Barack has been elected, and Michael Jackson has left us.

As for me, I plan to share projects and thoughts.  Great success!

No comments:

Post a Comment